“The fool wonders, the wise man asks.”
We took part in previous editions of Shanghai Summer School ourselves, so we know how many questions you have in your head right now. Here we try to answer your questions as best as we can!
Who is Summer School intended for?
Shanghai Summer School is aimed at ambitious young people between the ages of 18 and 30, who think of life as one great adventure, and who want a learning experience that is not confined by the four walls of a classroom. It is for those who enjoy making new friends and love exploring new places and cultures.
Great! And what is the structure of Summer School?
From discovering traditional back alleys of the city to scaling some of the highest skyscrapers in the world – every detail of Shanghai Summer School is designed to ensure that you are never bored.
The red thread of the Shanghai Summer School programme is the Chinese language, because we believe that you can only get to know a particular culture only when you learn the basics of its language. So, every morning, from Monday to Friday we have 4 hours of Chinese Language lessons. Together this amounts to 67 school hours.
Those who will attend the course at the basic level will have lectures in English, while those with advanced knowledge can attend higher-level courses where lectures will take place mostly in Chinese.
Afternoon activities are very diverse. We will experience everything from tasting Chinese cuisine, attempting the basics of Chinese calligraphy, getting lost in the streets of old Shanghai and visiting the highest skyscrapers. In addition, we will hang out with businessmen who are doing business in Shanghai, and will share their invaluable experiences with us. Your view of the world will be enlarged by external guest lecturers, who have had practical, real world knowledge of forging a career or business in China.
Lastly, since we are in Shanghai, we will definitely be able to experience the throbbing, vibrant nightlife of the city.
In short, it will be a fun, experiential learning experience that you will still be thinking about for a long time after.
Will I get internationally recognized ECTS credits as a participant of Summer School?
Of course! Like any quality school, as long as you have at least 80% attendance at the lectures, everyone will get a chance at taking a Chinese Language exam at the end of the Summer School.
Upon passing the exam, you obtain an internationally recognized certificate issued by Donghua University. The course is equivalent to 6 ECTS.
What if I don’t speak any Chinese? Is that an issue?
Shanghai Summer School is designed primarily for those who do not have knowledge of the Chinese language. All activities will be held in English, except for the Chinese calligraphy course, which will be led by one of the most recognized living masters of this ancient script. But a translator will be present, of course!
The basic Chinese Language lessons will also be taught in English, although the more advanced levels of the Chinese Language lessons will take place in Chinese only.
Sounds good to me. How much will it cost me?
We are firmly convinced that Shanghai Summer School should remain accessible to the widest possible crowd. As such, the cost of the Shanghai Summer School experience is kept at an affordable price of 1490 Euros.
Aaand what is included in that price?
A lot. 🙂 In addition to an on-site team that will ensure that your stay in Shanghai is as comfortable as possible, the price includes many activities and trips, which are described as follows:
- Most of you are Shanghai for the first time, so each participant will receive a personalized “starter kit” on arrival. This starter kit contains all the relevant information that you need to know about Shanghai as a visitor.
- The price of the summer school includes accommodation in twin-bedrooms shared between two people of the same gender. The accommodation is located in the international student dormitory of Donghua University. Each room is equipped with its own fridge and a private bathroom. Laundry and kitchen facilities are shared on each floor.
- As already mentioned, the price includes an intensive 67-hour Chinese course led by reputable and fun teachers from Donghua University.
- Since you cannot claim that you have been in China if you have not tasted real Chinese food, the price also includes a culinary workshop where you will be taught to prepare Chinese dumplings (水饺) from scratch!
- The Chinese civilisation has one of the richest cultures in the world, which is most evident in their ancient writing. One afternoon of the programme will be dedicated to getting to know this ancient script, which will be presented to us by one of the greatest masters of Chinese calligraphy alive.
- Our favourite part of the Shanghai Summer School by far is definitely the visit to the World’s 2nd Tallest Building – the Shanghai Tower, together with a night boat ride on the mighty HuangPu River. The view of the famous Shanghai Bund by night is out of this world!
- Standing in the stadium surrounded by 80,000 fans donning the colours of their beloved football club, listening to the deafening cheers for their favourite footballers – an experience you cannot leave Shanghai without! Did you know that Tevez and Oscar from the Shanghai SIPG Football Club are the highest paid athletes in the world?
- One day will be spent in the ancient neighbouring town of Suzhou, located just 150 kilometres outside of Shanghai. Due to its many bridges and canals, it is known to many as the “Venice of the East”. It is said that centuries ago, some of the most influential and wealthy people in Chinese history lived there.
- “Shanghai is all about working hard and playing hard” – a common description of the city you will hear during your stay. During your stay in Shanghai, we will make sure that you will experience just that. We believe that we will provide you with a unique experience of Shanghai nightlife that is impossible to find anywhere else in the world.
Do I have any immediate expenses?
An air ticket (the prices vary greatly, but the average ticket price is around 550 Euros), visa (60 Euros), insurance (approximately 40 Euros), food and drinks (about 200 Euros in total). For shopping and additional activities, however, the expenses depend on the individual.
I’m almost in. What is the deadline to apply?
Applications will be officially opened on the 15th of December 2017 and closed on the 31st of May 2018 at 23:59H. However, we suggest that you do not wait until the end of the application period to apply because places to participate in Shanghai Summer School are limited, and are likely to be filled before the deadline.
What’s the process of payment?
After you apply for Shangai Summer School you will receive a confirmation e-mail to confirm receiving your application. You will receive an invoice in the coming week which must be paid within 10 days of receiving the invoice. Upon receiving payment, we will send you detailed instructions on how to apply for your Chinese visa.
Awesome. Just a few more questions.
Do I need health insurance?
Insurance is not mandatory but highly recommended. We all know how Murphy’s law works. The cost of insurance is estimated to be around 40 euros, but the inconvenience it can save you from is priceless.
What about a visa?
All participants of the Shanghai Summer School need to apply for a visa to enter China. Visa documents will be issued by Shanghai Summer School as an official partner of Donghua University. We will also advise you on the visa application process. All that said, the responsibility of preparing for, applying for, and obtaining a visa is on the individual.
What is the weather like in Shanghai in summer?
Hot. Ranging between 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. Legend says that in summer in Shanghai, hens lay boiled eggs. 😉
What is the meaning of life?
“The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive, but in finding something to live for.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I’m in guys. Let’s make the upcoming summer an unforgettable experience! Where do I apply?
There’s nothing worse than the missed opportunity that could change your life! Sign up by clicking on APPLY. The link will redirect you to a new page where you fill in your information and apply for an experience that will change your view of the world. 🙂